16 May 2007

Empress of the World

You (my one reader) may notice that I am starting a YA Lesbian Fiction trend. I am. As a member of the listserv for Young Adult Librarians, I gathered a list of titles – about 90 books – my summer reading list. I also have a list of YA fantasy books that I will be working on.

Empress of the World has a similar theme to The Bermudez Triangle – summer camp for smart kids. This one is about Nicola “Nic” who goes to the Siegal Institute Summer Program for Gifted Youth to study archaeology.

On the first day Nic meets Katrina – the computer chick, Issac – the nice guy and Battle – the beautiful blonde dancer. They become fast friends. Nic has had theater friends and orchestra friends, but for the first time she feels like she has friend friends. And soon she realizes she is falling in love with one of her new friends – Battle.

She knew she was attracted to other girls, but she has never acted on her feelings. Does Battle even feel the same?

Ryan, Sara. (2001). Empress of the World. New York: Viking.

No comments: