01 May 2008

Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green.

I am not sure what to say about this book. It has a great message, but I felt I had to suffer through most of the book to get that message. If it hadn't been assigned for class I don't think I would have finished it. Of course, different readers will see other things in the story.

Miles, a geek who has never really had any friends, begins attending a private school where he finds friends. His roommate, Colonel, and their neighbor, Alaska, are the other main characters. All of the kids who live at the school are not rich, but the feel that comes across is spoiled, maladjusted teens who have too much time on their hand (for drinking and smoking) and not enough supervision.

The book is divided into to parts - before and after. Before is spent with Miles learning to fit into his new surrounding. After is Miles and Colonel trying to figure out why the dividing line - the event that causes the before and after - occurred. An answer they will never find to their satisfaction.

I guess I just think that the book didn't need so many vices for all of the kids. Though I certainly did not grow up without breaking rules, my childhood was not so desperate in everyday action - even when it was in thought.

Well, it did win the Printz Award, so maybe it is worth reading and deciding for yourself.

Green, John. (2005). Looking for Alaska. New York: Dutton Books.

No comments: