22 February 2008

Girl, 15, Charming But Insane

Girl, 15, Charming But Insane by Sue Lamb.

Each week in class, my professor states that Americans do not read books from other countries (with the exception of Louis Carrol). And each time she says this, I happen to be reading someone from Australia, England, etc... But it is true, we have a tendency in this country to read predominantly American authors.

Part of the problem is that, even though many other countries speak English (no translation issue), books take forever to get here. I am impatiently awaiting the second and third books in a trilogy from Australia. Both have been available there for over 2 years.

We need to start a movement. Then publishers in these countries and ours will work together to fill the demand. Read a book from Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, South Africa.........

An I think I find these books because I am drawn to the sense of humour of the greater UK. I don't seek out authors from particular countries (other than YA books from Australia). I just read the cover in the library and take them home. But we need more options, or more awareness to show we are interested.

Anyway, Girl, 15, Charming But Insane by Sue Lamb is about Jess Jordan. It is good. And quirky in a British sort of way.

Limb, Sue. (2004). Girl, 15, Charming But Insane. New York: Delacorte Press.

No comments: